Monday, November 23, 2009

Mangosteen Jewelry

"The East Bay Express described me as "public interest lawyer and mega-traveler."
I like that. In my day job I work for a non-profit that helps people and communities become & remain economically secure." -- Gabrielle Lessard, of Mangosteen Jewelry.

How did you learn your craft?

I'm learning all the time. I started beading and have gradually moved to more work with metal & wire. I am just getting into metal clay & enamels. I have taken several classes at the Crucible in Oakland & recommend it highly: www.thecrucible.org

As this is a charity event for DrawBridge, give us some insight on how you personally, or your shop, gives back to your community.

My 'day job' is as a public interest lawyer for a non-profit, the Insight Center for Community Economic Development. I get to work with lots of other non-profits that are doing amazing work in thier communities.

Also, I have another business where I purchase hand-crafted items from organizations that help artisans in the developing world develop thier businesses and market their products. Most are fair-trade certified; one works with survivors of human trafficking. www.mangosteenoakland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment